Doha: (Al-Sharq Qatari -6/10/2010): NHRC staff resumed their duties this morning (Monday: 5/102010) at their 6-store new Headquarters in the Ferij Abdulaziz area now resupplied with modern apparatus and technologies aimed at serving the largest possible number of members of the society. The Committee has Seven Main Objectives:
To uphold and promote the human rights in the International Treaties which the State of Qatar has acceded to, (such as the Convention Against Torture, the Convention on the Rights of the Child, ILO Conventions 100, 105, 182, etc…)
- To uphold and promote the human rights in the International Treaties which the State of Qatar has acceded to, (such as the Convention Against Torture, the Convention on the Rights of the Child, ILO Conventions 100, 105, 182, etc…)
- To provide advice to the Qatari government and other interested parties on human rights.
- To receive, record and investigate violations of human rights in Qatar or involving Qatari citizens, and to either solve these problems or to direct the victims to channels which can solve them. In addition, it is to recommend means by which these violations can be avoided in the future.
- To monitor the records and reports by international organizations and NGOs on the human rights situation in Qatar and to respond if necessary.
- To prepare annual reports on the human rights situation in Qatar.
To work with regional and international human rights organizations – and also with other national human rights committees in the region, (such as the Bahrain Centre for Human Rights or the Saudi National Human Rights Association.)
- To raise awareness of human rights in society, and among the relevant government agencies – through presentations, conferences, training programs and media campaigns.