Al-Fasher-Agencies(23/7/2008): Sudan‘s president has said he is "not worried" by International Criminal Court (ICC) accusations against him, during a rare visit to Darfur. Omar al-Bashir made the comments at a rally in the northern town of Fasher shortly after the start of his trip.
Sudan has also agreed to set up special courts to try alleged human rights abuses in Darfur which will be monitored by international bodies including the U.N., an Arab League official said
Wednesday."They agreed to establish special courts," Hisham Yussef, chief of staff for Arab League Secretary General Amr Moussa told AFP.
"They also agreed that the Arab League, the U.N. and the African Union would follow (the trials) but also ensure that laws in Sudan cover all the aspects required under international law."
ICC Chief Prosecutor Luis Moreno-Ocampo sought an arrest warrant against Mr Bashir last week on charges including genocide and war crimes in Darfur. Sudan has said it does not recognise the ICC or its decisions.During his trip to the region, Mr Bashir is to visit a series of aid projects, accompanied by officials and ambassadors. "We’re here to send a message to the world, we’re people of peace, we want peace, we’re the ones who make peace," Mr Bashir told supporters in Fasher.
Sudan has been on a diplomatic offensive since the ICC announced its charges, winning the backing of the Arab League and the African Union.
"They want us to be a lackey of the government of America," Bashir told supporters in Darfur. Ironically, the US, which, like the Sudan, is not a member of the ICC, had previously offered some praise for Mr Moreno-Ocampo’s move. The African Union has called for the United Nations Security Council to suspend the accusations, while the Arab League said they set a dangerous precedent